Friday, August 20, 2004

Stuck in the Old World

The current project is interesting, and yet painful. Interesting in that I am back in Java land after a year or so, but painful in that all the current work is on Java 1.3.1 (and Eclipse 2.1), and hence I'm missing out on the expanding world of Eclipse plugin's that make development life easier - Jupiter, FindBugs, JDocs, Profiler etc. With Java 5.0 out soon, I hope we at least move to Java 1.4 on the current project. At least then I can start using Eclipse 3.0 again.
In the last week or so I started using Hibernate. Very cool, easy to use/install, with good documentation. What more could you ask for.

The Sun-JDocs issue is sad. I have to agree with Dion with regards to the Microsoft comment.

Last night I upgrading my Fedora 1 box to Fedora 2. The upgrade went fairly smoothly apart from when I rebooted, and got an error message during Gnome startup. Gnome did start after I ok'd the error message. I just need to dig into some log file to discover and fix the issue.

Finally, one of these days I'm actually going to get time to install and play with Blitz.

1 Comments:

At 8:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can tell eclipse 3.0 to generate 1.3.1-compliant classes. and to enforce 1.3.1-compliant source, if you want to - so you can have 1.4 on your desktop but still produce code that fits in with the corporate guidelines. Of course, that's no help if the rules don't allow you to install 1.4 at all...

Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home